Thursday 5 July 2012

Fuji X Pro-1: LGTB Hip Hop

Photo © Tewfic El-Sawy- All Rights Reserved

































I am so taken by the capabilities of the Fuji X Pro-1 that I created a new 'page' on my street photography website The Leica File (And X Pro-1) for my most recent project involving the LGTB Hip Hop gathering during the Gay Pride of 2012 in New York City.

Most of the images I've chosen were made by shooting from the hip, and by pre-visualizing the composition in my mind's eye...not quite a Hail Mary per se, but a sort of "eyeless" photography as I call it in my Is Shooting From The Hip...Photography? post of over a year ago.

I'm quite impressed by the quality of these images, especially as I've decided to quit using RAW with the Fuji X Pro-1 until such time there's adequate software support for its conversion. The Fuji RAW convertor is so clunky that it's laughable, and the Adobe Lightroom seems to have issues with it (I am also considering switching from Lightroom to Aperture....but that's another story).

All the photographs were shot in JPEG (Velvia film simulation setting), and sharpened a touch in Photoshop.

Many years ago, I was told that to be really successful, a street photograph should have no one in it looking at the camera or the photographer, essentially a candid moment. In the dense crowds of the LGBT Hip Hop crowd, that was impossible. However, by shooting from the hip, I did manage to capture such candid moments. The photograph (cropped) that I chose to accompany this post is one of those. A tender moment between two young people whose lives are just starting. Where will they be in 20 years' time?

In other photographs, I wasn't as successful...simply because I stood out like a sore thumb in that type of crowd, and just by being there attracted some stares (and in one instance, given the finger....but I had the camera to my face then).

I realize that I have already shown these photographs on this blog in a short Vimeo audio slideshow, but it didn't show them off in the best light...so these are now on my street photography blog.

REI | De Las Flores

REI by Tewfic El-Sawy on on Exposure